“Hair loss is GOD’s way of telling me, I’m Human” – Bruce Willis
HAIRLOSS or ALOPECIA
“Alopecia is the medical description of the loss of hair from the head or body, sometimes to the extent of baldness”
Normally a person male or female looses 80-100 hairs a day. This does not cause a person to become bald because these fallen hairs are replaced by newly growing hairs from the same time.
Actually it is still mystery and also not understood properly that what causes hair loss, but usually it can be related to the following.
- Genetic: More than 90% cases of hairloss are due to genetics, either paternal or maternal. It is called androgenetic alopecia, in other terms male or female pattern hairloss.
- Hormonal Changes: Changes or imbalance in hormones can cause hairloss which is mostly temporary. We can see this mostly during pregnancy or childhood.
Also Thyroid hormone imbalance is responsible in some cases.
- Alopecia Areata: In this condition patchy hairloss occurs due to immune disorder. It may progress and in extreme cases hairloss occurs from all parts of the body.
- Medications: Drugs given in cancer, depression are sometimes responsible. Also overdose of vitamin A is associated with hairloss in certain cases.
- Medical Conditions: Occasionally High Fever is associated with hair loss. Trichotillomania is a medical disorder in which patient has an irresistible urge to pull the hair from different body parts.
Radiation therapy may be the contributing factor.
- Nutritional Deficiency: Low ferritin and low vitamin B12 levels are also one of the factors for hair loss. Poor nutrition also causes hairloss.
- Trigger Event: This may include physical or emotional shock like sudden or excessive weight loss, change in the residence, death in the family, surgery. This type of hairloss is usually temporary.
- Hair treatments: Tight hair style, bleaches or dyes, hot air dryers, straightening may be the reason in some persons.